The articles contained within this section are owned by their authors and are subject to copyright. However, they may be printed for the purposes of private study, research or review. Articles may not be reproduced to generate revenue for any program or individual.
New articles are always welcomed, so if you are considering the submission of a piece of writing please doesn't hesitate to make contact.
In addition to the articles below, press releases can be accessed via the top menu (Biograpy, Press release) or by clicking the following link: Press releases.
Mark Le Messurier
The control of student behaviour has always been a major component of an educatorís skill repertoire. Today, as teachers face increasing numbers of students with challenging emotions and behaviour, there is a clear expectation on them to expand the quality of how they go about man aging students (Applebaum 2008).
Every so often a teacher will find themself having to deal with the behaviours of one or two students
who battle for attention and power. When challenged theyíll become defiant or loud, and occasionally
vindictive and intimidating. Oppositional styled behaviours, from even just one student, can be a perilous
time. Such encounters place a teacherís reactions under the closest scrutiny of the class, and depending
on their responses, either an atmosphere of care, strength and fairness is stirred, or the class can
suddenly set itself against a teacher it perceives as mean and unjust. The tone of the classroom can
quickly unravel and the confidence of students to learn and participate in a warm interactive
class environment falls apart.
Dyslexia falls under the broad umbrella of 'Specific Learning Disorders' (affecting 15 - 20% of the population). It is referred to as a learning disability because it can impede life socially, emotion lly and academically. Dyslexia affects about 10% of the population, although it is being under diagnosed. That's two or three children in every Australian classroom and its severity is on a sliding scale. It attempts to explain why a person can do relatively well (even really well because some dyslexics are gifted) in some areas of learning, but encounter unexpected problems in reading, writing and spelling.
The exact causes are not clear, but researchers agree there are structural brain differences
in dyslexics that are likely to account for the way the brain develops and functions (Shaywitz,
2005). Dyslexic genes have been identified and the data suggests that if a dad or a mum is
dyslexic their sons have about a 75% chance of being dyslexic too, whilst girls will have a 25%
chance. However, current information suggests too many girls are slipping under the radar not
Chapter 1: Building relationship with young people - March, 2017
One of the most satisfying experiences for relational educators is the opportunity to
deliberately build humane connections with young people, and between them. We've learnt
that there's so much more to teaching than simply imparting quality curriculum. Professor
Maurice Galton in his book, 'Learning and Teaching in the Primary Classroom' alerts us
that schools can very easily become lonely and isolating places for both children and
adolescents (Galton, 2007)
Fawne Hansen is a wellness coach. Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
She writes, "Raising a child can be one of the most stressful things we do, but there are several strategies that can help you to cope. Building support systems, establishing routines, and making use of professional counselling can all help."
Nicole Eglinton, Director and Principal Audiologist, Little Ears
The most common reported difficulty experienced by children with an Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) is understanding their teacher in background noise (i.e. the classroom).
Auditory processing refers to how well we detect, discriminate and process auditory
(verbal) information. It is often thought of as the brainwork of hearing, or in other
terms "what we do with what we hear".
An Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) (also referred to as a Central Auditory Processing
Disorder) refers to an inability to make optimal use of what we hear. Children diagnosed
with an APD typically have normal hearing and normal intelligence however have difficulties
listening, particularly in the presence of background noise (e.g. the classroom).
Posted on September 5th, 2013
SA Kids PARENTING MAGAZINE
Not too long ago, there was a perception that 'tough kids' were the kids who were a bit like the character Fonzie on the TV series Happy Days. The series ran between 1974 and 1984 and celebrated the relationship between teenager Richie and his family: his father Howard, a hardware store owner; Richie's mother Marion, a homemaker; Joanie, his younger sister; and tough man Arthur Fonzarelli - The Fonz, the Cunningham's tenant, high school dropout, biker and suave ladies' man.
I prefer to see 'tough kids' slightly differently. I think 'tough kids' form part of a challenging and
growing group of children who find life tougher than most. They may have been diagnosed as being gifted or
battling with specific learning difficulties, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Language Disorder,
Auditory Processing Disorder and/or Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Excerpt from Australian Family Magazine, September 2012
Writer and Editor; Emma Reeves
When 13 year old Anton gets angry, he wants to punch holes in the walls. When two year old Jackson is angry he wants to smack or hit. Seven year old Jessica and her mum shout at each other when they lose control.
We can all get angry at times. It's just part of living alongside each other. But there are ways to manage anger so that it does not become an ongoing problem.
Both children and adults can feel anger sparked by irritation or frustration. The anger becomes a problem if it is happening continuously or if it sparks irrational behaviour or inappropriate actions.
The decision is seldom an easy one as in most situations there are things to
be said in favour of keeping the student with their age peers, and advantages
in arranging for them to repeat a year level. Often the decision is hard
because the arguments for either course of action are quite evenly balanced.